If you’re in the market for a personal loan, PenFed is definitely worth considering. They offers terms and rates that are consistently competitive , and their loans can be used for just about anything. PenFed personal loan reviews will help you decide whether this lender is the right choice for you.
Let’s take a closer look at PenFed’s loans and breakdown the pros and cons of borrowing from them.
What Is PenFed?
Pentagon Federal Credit Union has been in business since 1935 and has $31 billion in assets. They’re one of the largest credit unions in the United States, with over 2.5 million members across all 50 states, as well as Puerto Rico, Guam, and Okinawa. Although PenFed serves members of the armed forces, veterans, military associations, retirees, and their families, it has expanded its membership requirements in recent years, and now nonmilitary members can join.
PenFed offers a wide range of financial products and services, including personal loans, checking and savings accounts, credit cards, IRAs, auto loans, home equity loans, and mortgages, and because they’re unsecured loans, you won’t need to put up any collateral. PenFed personal loans can be used for a variety of purposes, including:
- Debt consolidation
- Large purchases
- Home improvement projects
- Travel and vacation expenses
- Unexpected expenses
How Do PenFed Credit Union Personal Loans Work?
PenFed offers some of the market’s most competitive rates on personal loans. You can apply for a loan online or over the phone, and you’ll need to provide some basic information about yourself and your finances. Once approved, you’ll be able to choose a loan term, ranging from 12 to 60 months, and a repayment plan that works for you.
To qualify for a PenFed personal loan, you must be a credit union member with a minimum credit score of 650. PenFed lets customers take out anywhere from $600 to $50,000 with their loans, making it an excellent option for just about any type of borrowing need.
You can also get a PenFed personal loan with no origination fee or prepayment penalties, which is another way to save money. So if you’re looking for a personal loan with great rates and terms, PenFed is definitely worth considering.
Another great thing about PenFed is that they offer both fixed-rate and variable-rate loans, so you can choose the option that makes the most sense for your financial situation. For example, if you expect your income to go up over time, a variable-rate loan may be the better choice since it will offer lower payments at first and then adjust as your income increases.
On the other hand, a fixed-rate loan may be the better choice if you’re looking for the stability of a fixed monthly payment. With a fixed-rate loan, you’ll know exactly how much your monthly payment will be, making budgeting easier. Keep in mind that your actual rate will depend on your credit score, income, and other factors.
How To Apply for a PenFed Personal Loan
Applying for a PenFed personal loan is easy, and you can do it online or over the phone. To get started, you’ll need to provide some basic personal information, such as your name, address, and contact details. You will also need to provide some financial information, like your income and expenses. Once you have submitted the paperwork, a representative from the credit union will contact you to discuss your loan options. They’ll work with you to find a loan that best suits your needs and budget.
PenFed Personal Loan Pros
There are many reasons to consider taking out a personal loan from PenFed Credit Union. Here are some of the biggest pros:
- Any applicant can pre-qualify with a soft credit check: Applying for a personal loan from PenFed won’t impact your credit score since the credit union does a soft pull of your credit report. This is a great way to get an idea of what interest rate you’ll be offered without affecting your credit score.
- Joint applications are available: If you’re married or in a domestic partnership, you can apply for a joint personal loan from PenFed, which can improve your chances of getting approved for a loan and acquiring a lower interest rate.
- Accounts can be managed online: You can easily view and manage your loan account online or through the mobile app, which makes it easy to stay on top of your payments.
- No collateral required: Unsecured personal loans from PenFed don’t require any collateral, so you won’t have to put up your home or car as collateral for the loan.
PenFed Personal Loan Cons
Before taking out a personal loan from PenFed Credit Union, there are a few things to keep in mind. Here are some of the biggest cons:
- You must be a credit union member: To qualify for a PenFed personal loan, you must be a member of the credit union. This may not be an issue for some people, but it’s something to keep in mind.
- Minimum credit score required: You’ll need a minimum credit score of 650 to qualify for a PenFed personal loan. If your credit score is lower than that, you may not be able to get approved.
- Eligibility requirements aren’t disclosed online: The eligibility requirements for a PenFed personal loan are not disclosed online, so you’ll need to call and speak to a representative to find out if you qualify.
- Only offers personal loans up to $50,000: PenFed only offers personal loans up to $50,000, which may not be enough for some borrowers. You’ll need to look elsewhere if you need a loan for more than $50,000.
According to Investopedia, PenFed personal loan reviews are generally positive, with reviewers praising the company for its low-interest rates, easy application process, and excellent customer service. It also has an average customer satisfaction rating of 4.6 out of five stars on TrustPilot.
Overall, reviewers seem happy with their experiences with PenFed personal loans. However, some reviewers note that the company’s approval process could be improved and its application process could be more streamlined.
Now that you know more about PenFed personal loans, you can decide if they’re the right choice for you. Compare it with other personal loan offers to ensure you’re getting the best deal possible. And remember, always carefully consider your financial situation before taking out a loan.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.