If you’re shopping around for the best refinancing deal on your car loan, USAA is one of the best options to consider, if you qualify. By opting for this financial institution, you can enjoy benefits such as relatively lower interest rates. Learning about the ins and outs of USAA auto refinance is essential to decide whether it suits you. Keep reading to find out more about this refinancing option.
What Is USAA Auto Refinance?
USAA auto refinance is a refinancing solution that enables you to switch to a different financial institution to complete the payment of your car loan. Based in Texas, this enterprise offers solutions that typically range from $5,000 to $150,000 in value. Loans for higher values are also available on new vehicle models. A market leader in auto-related financial services such as car insurance and refinance, USAA offers tailored solutions to members of the U.S. military and their families. If you already have a car loan, there are several reasons why you could opt for refinancing it, such as:
- Credit score improvements: Since you got your car loan, your credit score may have improved. Banks like USAA look at credit scores when approving and deciding loan terms, so you’re likely to get a better deal via refinancing if your score has improved.
- Cosigner characteristics: Getting a new cosigner, whose financial status can help you to get a better interest rate or approval from a financial institution like USAA, can be a reason to refinance.
- Financial institution features: Choosing a different financial institution for refinancing instead of the one from which you got your loan can suit you due to the unique features of the lender. For example, you may make the switch due to lower interest rates, better payoff limits, more suitable income requirements, or a more dependable brand image.
Advantages of Choosing USAA for Auto Refinance
Here are some of the key advantages of opting for USAA auto refinance:
- You can lower your interest rates. USAA auto refinance rates can be as low as 3.54% for loans on 2021 or newer models. If you’re an owner of a 2015–2020 model, your minimum rate could be 3.99%.
- You can change the length of your loan period. Typically, your loan repayment period is a key variable that impacts the cost of your monthly payments and total debt. USAA offers refinancing solutions with repayment periods up to 84 months, so you can choose to pay less each month if this suits your budget. Just keep in mind that a longer loan period will mean a higher overall cost.
- You can avoid some charges. When opting for USAA as your refinancing option, you do not have to pay any application fees. Additionally, there are no hidden costs that can increase your debt.
- You can benefit from discounts. Choosing USAA as a car refinancing option makes you eligible to benefit from discounts, such as a 0.24% reduction for automatic payments.
- You have many refinancing options. USAA offers a relatively high number of refinancing options that can suit your unique circumstances. For example, you can refinance loans from banks, credit unions, or dealerships; on new and old vehicle models; on new and reconditioned vehicles; on cars, RVs, and motorcycles; and on a variety of loan types such as lease buyouts.
- You can take your car abroad. This refinancing provider enables you to take your vehicle overseas, which can be an advantage for armed service personnel stationed in foreign locations.
- You can enjoy a quick application process. When you apply to USAA for auto refinancing, you can expect to receive a refinancing offer and funding within one business day if you’re approved.
It’s important to keep in mind that the majority of successful USAA auto refinance applicants have strong financial records. Typically, an applicant faces a hard credit check with no preapproval option during the refinance application process. However, as USAA does not have a specific credit score requirement for its refinancing products, you could still find a solution that fits your unique financial circumstances.
What You Need for USAA Auto Refinance
There are several requirements you need to meet to get your car loan refinanced from USAA, such as:
- USAA membership: In order to be a USAA member, you must be a member of the U.S. armed forces (enlisted or veteran) or DoD; family members of these individuals are also able to join. Types of armed forces include army, national guard, navy, marines, coast guard, and reserves.
- Credit score: When applying for USAA auto refinance, you can expect a credit check that assesses your credit history and rating. Earning a higher score will help you get a better refinancing deal. You may need to meet a minimum credit score of approximately 560 to 640 to qualify for auto refinance with this provider.
- USAA membership: A USAA membership is necessary to obtain a refinancing solution. You can join online if you’re an active service member, veteran, spouse of an active service member or veteran, or child of an active service member or veteran.
- Fiscal strength: You may need to prove your financial status via income-related documentation such as pay stubs. If you can prove your fiscal ability to repay your loan, USAA may also approve an application regardless of employment status.
- Personal information: When applying for a refinancing solution from USAA, you will need to provide several private documents, such as details of your employment, income statements, driver’s license, loan account number, loan annual percentage rate (APR), and vehicle model and mileage. Having these documents ready before you apply can help you to get approved quickly.
- Citizenship or residency: USAA refinancing options are available only to U.S. citizens or residents. A document such as a passport or a residency permit will be necessary when making your application.
Consequently, selecting USAA auto refinance can be a satisfying choice. For a successful application, invest in researching the different payoff options and income requirements before applying, communicate effectively with the bank’s representatives in person or online, and provide all the necessary documentation during the application process.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.