ATK engine reviews are relatively positive, with most buyers giving the engine high marks for the quality of its construction and the amount of power you get for the price. Below are some major pros for buyers returning to ATK engine and other related products.
- They are true to their horsepower ratings: Buyers have commented that while they are leery of advertised horsepower ratings with many engine options, they find that the high-performance ATK engines live up to their horsepower claims when paired with the right equipment.
- They are easy to install and tune. Many mechanics report they have no problems during the installation or tuning process and that the ATK is easier to install than many similar engines.
- They sound great and run well. Reviews say that they love the ATK engine’s sound and the way it runs. If you are looking for an engine that sounds as powerful as it is, ATK engines are a great option.
- They have a lot of power for the price tag. The durable ATK engines use choice materials, but their price tag doesn’t reflect that. Reviewers of the ATK engine love the power and quality you get from an engine that is reasonably priced compared to other high-performance engines.
- They back their engines with top-of-the-line customer service. Buyers have only reported a few problems with the engines that have not been easily solved with a call to customer service. Reviewers describe the customer service for ATK engines as normally helpful, informative, and quick to resolve any problem.
What Reviewers Dislike About ATK Engines
- The warranty coverage is limited. There have been multiple negative reviews about the warranty on the ATK engines. Their warranty covers defective workmanship and materials on the engine. If defects are found after the engine is sent back, then they will repair or replace the engine. Some consumers have complained that even with additionally purchased warranties, damage caused by defects in the engine was not fully covered, leaving them with significant out-of-pocket expenses.
- The tech and warranty support staff fails to solve problems. Some consumers have complained that refunds, replacements, or warranty claims requested through ATK support, are handled poorly. One reviewer claimed that it took multiple calls before they could finally get the replacement to ship. Others stated that the professional installers used were blamed for defects in the engine, resulting in a denial of engine replacement.
- There have been recurrent issues with the engine’s valve seals. Several reported complaints have occurred, stating that valve seals fail on the engine within the first year of use. One reviewer says that he broke down when the valve seals failed in the first seven months after installation. After a reinstall with a replacement engine, the valve stems broke, resulting in another needed replacement.
- The company only covers half the labor cost when a reinstall is needed. A major complaint with reviewers that have had to exercise the engine warranty and receive a replacement is that they have to pay a significant amount out of pocket for the replacement. While the company sends a new replacement engine for free, they only reimburse the buyer for about half the price they have to pay in labor to install the replacement one. In many cases, the purchaser has had to pay $1,000 or more due to defects with the engine.
- Significant shipping delays occur. Some buyers have stated that when paying through PayPal, their money was immediately withdrawn with no indication of a ship date. Some waited weeks, with no response from customer service, on items reported as in-stock. In some cases, the order was outright canceled after months of waiting. A couple of reviewers reported that it took several calls after order cancelation to receive the money credited back to their account.
Exclusions to Warranty Coverage
One of the main complaints of the ATK engines is the warranty and the fact that it does not cover problems caused by defects in the engines in many cases. In the ATK warranty, the company states that they will not extend coverage for many reasons, including issues caused by:
- Poor lubrication
- Misuse or installation
- Improper maintenance
- Component failure
- Excessive vibration
ATK Engines is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau. They have received 21 complaints from the Better Business Bureau over the last four years and hold an F rating on the BBB website. While there have been multiple complaints with the BBB, the company is quick to respond to the complaints, and several of the complaints reached a satisfactory resolution.
Are ATK Engines Worth Purchasing?
ATK engines give you some of the biggest bang for your buck. In terms of power for the price, you won’t do much better when looking for a high-performance engine. You also can rest assured that when properly installed, you will get the horsepower that you expect with these engines,
The main drawbacks are that dealing with warranty issues and technical support may be difficult if you encounter problems. The high-quality materials may make the need to contact the warranty department and tech support less likely, but the issues with valves could lead to problems down the road.
If cost is a factor, or you have difficulty finding a similar engine to meet your needs, the ATK engines may be worth trying.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.