Like many other car manufacturers, Hyundai strives to make car ownership as easy and stress-free as possible. While Hyundai has a reputation for producing reliable vehicles, things can go wrong, whether it’s a mechanical problem, an accident, or a flat tire. Part of the automaker’s commitment to its customers is its roadside assistance program to help them through any of these problems. Take a look at what you get with this program and how it works.
What Is Hyundai Roadside Assistance?
Hyundai Roadside Assistance is a 24-hour, seven-day-a-week emergency support service. It comes with every new Hyundai vehicle and is available in the event you run into any mechanical issues, electrical problems, or a traffic accident. The program lasts for five years, and there is no limit on the number of miles you can drive during that time. There is no cost for the service during the initial warranty period.
What Is Included in the Hyundai Roadside Assistance Program?
Any new Hyundai vehicle has a warranty that includes roadside assistance services. The services include:
- Towing: Whether you break down or get into an accident, your roadside assistance service will tow your vehicle to the nearest Hyundai dealership or authorized service facility.
- Lockout services: If you lock your keys in the car, just contact customer service, and they will send someone to help you get back in.
- Flat tire services: Hyundai’s roadside assistance will send someone to change or repair your tire if it goes flat.
- Dead battery: The company will come to give you a jump start if your battery dies.
- Refueling: Hyundai will deliver up to 3 gallons of gas where it’s permissible to do so. There is no charge for this service.
- Trip interruption coverage: If you are 150 miles or farther from home and run into mechanical issues with your Hyundai, the roadside assistance program will reimburse you for reasonable expenses to cover lodging, meals, and transportation.
How Do I Use Roadside Assistance?
If you need help, all you need to do is call Hyundai Roadside Assistance at 1-800-243-7766. Make sure to have the following information ready:
- Vehicle identification number
- A description of what’s wrong with the vehicle
- Vehicle mileage
- Vehicle location
What Is Enhanced Roadside Assistance?
The Enhanced Roadside Assistance program comes with Hyundai Connected Care. Hyundai Connected Care is part of the optional Bluelink package. Bluelink provides drivers with everything they need to take care of their vehicle, including service reminders, a monthly vehicle health report, diagnostics, and enhanced roadside assistance.
The enhanced version of the roadside assistance program is Hyundai Assurance 24/7 Roadside Assistance. It offers more convenience because it uses GPS to provide vehicle coordinates to the Bluelink Customer Care agent who takes your call. You don’t have to figure out where you are — the agent will get the information from the Bluelink system. Getting in touch with an agent is also easier with the enhanced service. All you need to do is push the Bluelink button in your Hyundai to connect to an agent.
What Is Excluded From Coverage?
Hyundai roadside assistance is a comprehensive plan, but it does have some exclusions:
- Off-roading: Hyundai will not provide assistance when you are off-roading. The vehicle must be on a road maintained by the state or local authority.
- Accident repairs: Hyundai will not pay for or reimburse you for repairs that are the result of an accident.
- Racing or misuse: Hyundai will not pay for damage that results from racing or misusing your vehicle.
- Tire replacement: The roadside assistance program does not cover tire repair or replacement. It also does not cover mounting or dismounting snow tires.
- Impound towing: The plan does not cover towing expenses caused by legal violations.
- Excessive service calls: The company has the right to deny assistance if it’s determined that you’ve had too many calls overall or an excessive amount for one kind of service.
Can I Get Roadside Assistance After the Warranty Expires?
Once the standard service runs out, Hyundai offers its extended warranty program. The Hyundai Protection Plan Vehicle Service Contract builds on the already class-leading warranty with protection for even longer. It includes roadside assistance with enhanced benefits for the full term of your extended contract.
All of the Protection Plan Vehicle Service Contracts provide nationwide service and include rental car reimbursement for up to $35 a day for 10 days if needed, trip interruption coverage for up to $200 a day for up to five days, and towing to the nearest Hyundai dealership.
This extended coverage is also transferable. If you decide to sell your car before the coverage expires, you can transfer the coverage to the next owner. This feature may add value to your Hyundai if you choose to sell it privately.
It’s important to note that the extended coverage comes with an additional cost, but you also get additional warranties. The Vehicle Service Contract comes in three different levels, and each level comes with roadside assistance. You can choose a level that works for your budget and service needs.
How Does Hyundai Roadside Assistance Stack Up Against Other Providers?
The basic benefits that Hyundai offers through its roadside assistance program may not be as comprehensive as some plans you can get through third-party providers or insurance companies, but it is free to all new vehicle owners. If you’re considering whether you should get the Protection Plan Service Contract when the initial warranty plan expires, there are some benefits and drawbacks. You’ll get roadside assistance and added warranty coverage, but you are limited to using a Hyundai dealer for all repairs.
If you choose a third-party roadside assistance program such as AAA, you can choose where your vehicle goes for repairs. Depending on the plan level you purchase, AAA also offers one tow up to 200 miles.
Roadside assistance is an important service and becomes even more essential as your vehicle gets older. Hyundai’s roadside assistance program is free for the first five years of ownership and then offered as an added benefit with its extended warranty service.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.