The Goodyear Viva 3 tires come in sizes ranging from 14 to 18 inches and are ideal for a variety of vehicles, from compact cars to minivans. The tires have received mixed reviews from buyers. Many have said the tires provide excellent comfort and stability at a reasonable price, while others showed concern about their performance on slick or heavily snowed roads. Overall, however, the Goodyear Viva 3 tires are one of the best tires on the market at their price range.
The Goodyear Viva 3 is available exclusively at Walmart. It has been replaced by the Goodyear Reliant All-Season, but existing stock remains widely available at Walmart Tire Centers, so you can still pick up this tire. You may even find a good deal on close-out as stores seek to replace it with the newer Reliant All-Season.
Vehicles Compatible With Goodyear Viva 3 Tires
The Goodyear Viva 3 tires fit well on most compact vehicles, midsized sedans, and smaller crossovers. The Viva 3 tires are designed to fit some of the most popular vehicles on the market, including the:
- Honda Accord
- Ford Taurus
- Nissan Altima
- Toyota Camry
- Chevy Malibu
- Honda Civic
- Toyota RAV4
- Ford Focus
Pros and Cons of Goodyear Viva 3 Tires
The Goodyear Viva 3 tires have received a mix of positive and negative reviews. The positive reviews revolve around the low price, quiet ride, and performance in light snow. Cons stated in reviews include the control difficulty in heavy snow or extremely slick conditions, and the fact that the tread wears quicker than anticipated. Other characteristics of these tires include:
- Tire load index: The load index of the Goodyear 3 Viva tires varies based on the purchase size, ranging from 82 load index on the 14-inch to 105 on the 18-inch, which means they can support a load of up to 2,039 pounds. The tires have an ample load index for midsized sedans, but are not designed to support some crossovers and small SUVs.
- Traction: The grooves on the Viva 3 tires are designed to drain water and mud easily, helping connect the tires more firmly to the ground. The manufacturers chose this tread pattern to promote even wear along the whole tire, reducing vehicle pull to one side. A zigzag tread pattern helps give the tire extra grip in rough weather conditions, such as light snow, but fails to hold the road as well when the snow gets thick.
- All-season: The Goodyear Viva 3 is the perfect tire if you live in an area that sees all four seasons. They are designed to provide a firm grip in rain, light snow, and even a small amount of ice. The main issue with the Viva tires is they do not perform as well in heavy snow as they do in light snow.
- Affordability: The Viva 3 tire is one of the most affordable Goodyear tires on the market. The cost also comes with a guarantee as long as you purchase them from an authorized Goodyear dealer. Similar all-season tires cost 30% more than Goodyear Viva 3 tires, making them one of the most affordable options in their size range.
- Comfort and control: Most reviews say the Viva 3 provides a comfortable and quiet ride when on slower side roads, without much feedback from the pavement. However, the tires can produce a lot of noise on faster roads such as highways. The tires’ grip gives drivers reasonable control, even around sharp curves.
- Braking distance: While the Goodyear Viva 3 tires brake well on dry roads and under ideal weather conditions, they can sometimes be a step behind similar tires in their class on slippery or icy roads.
Viva 3 Tire Maintenance Needs
The Goodyear Viva 3 requires basic maintenance such as rotation and proper air pressure and uses industry-standard tread wear indicators to indicate when they should be replaced. Drivers should replace their tires at 2/32-inch tread depth, when the tires begin to lose their stopping power in slick conditions. Hydroplaning can easily occur below this tread depth.
Viva 3 Warranty
A Goodyear warranty backs the Viva 3 tires on their tread wear for 60,000 miles. Buyers can receive this warranty when they purchase their tires directly from Walmart. While other brands have longer warranties on tread wear, they are significantly higher in price.
Many buyers say their tires have actually worn out around 30,000 miles, which is significantly below other tires in this class. Be prepared to take advantage of the 60,000-mile warranty if this happens to you.
The Goodyear Viva 3 tires are not designed for off-road driving and, therefore, do not fit most vehicles suited for off-roading adventures. Because the tire’s traction weakens when surfaces get slippery or uneven, the tread can quickly become damaged if taken off paved roads.
Sport Driving Ability
As in most cases, the cheaper the tire, the less sporty it will feel when driving, and the Viva 3 is no exception. The traction on the Viva 3 tires is related to its speed. While they perform well enough under normal driving conditions, when they get pushed harder, they can slip, especially if the roads are wet. With proper tread, though, the Viva 3 tires perform satisfactorily on the freeway.
Are the Goodyear Viva 3 Tires a Good Buy?
Buyers consider Goodyear Viva 3 tires to be a good value for a reliable tire that can get you through most weather conditions. If you can afford a pricier tire and live in an area that sees a lot of rain, ice, or heavy snow, however, it might make more sense to purchase a high-end all-season tire that will perform better.
Goodyear Viva 3 tires have decent tread and a firm grip when they are new, but they tend to wear out quickly, which might lead to more frequent replacements. You might end up paying more than if you bought a higher-priced option that lasts longer.
If you are in the market for a tire designed for smooth road driving, moderate weather conditions, and low to moderate mileage, the Goodyear Viva 3’s low cost might make it a good purchase. If you put a lot of mileage and wear on your tires, an option with longer-lasting tread would be the best choice, even at a higher price tag.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.