Whether you have a work van, a passenger van, or a house on wheels for #vanlife, the tires you choose to buy are important to maximize comfort and safety. Having the proper tires can do wonders to increase your van’s fuel efficiency as well. While there are plenty of tire options out there for vans, the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate is excellent for all weather conditions. This Michelin Agilis Crossclimate review will talk about the standard warranty coverage and some pros and cons about these tires to help you decide if these are the right tires for your van or light truck.
Michelin Agilis Crossclimate Overview
The Agilis Crossclimate is a premium touring all-season tire designed specifically for vans or light trucks. While options abound for the typical car, SUV, or sedan owner when looking for tires, the same can’t be said for van owners. Vans are typically overlooked when it comes to specialty tires. However, because vans carry a lot of cargo, typically travel many miles, and are a convenient option for many, Michelin saw a need to provide quality tires for van owners. The Michelin Agilis Crossclimate could be the answer to the van owner’s tire needs.
The tire aims to provide optimal traction throughout the year, so it is an enticing option for the commercial van driver or for those who want something dependable on their van without having to switch out tires every year when the weather changes. The tires are commercial grade and great for heavy loads. According to the Michelin website, the Agilis Crossclimate was able to withstand heavy loads 10%-19% longer than competing tires. This means you’ll save money and not have to replace tires often since these can last considerably longer.
Features of the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate
While the technology used in van tires up until recently was stagnant, the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate has changed that. These tires feature a slew of new features that will help improve your van’s performance and overall safety while on the road. Some of the key features the manufacturer produced the tire with include:
- SipeLock technology: Sipes, or kerfs, are small slits in the tire’s tread included purposefully in the mold and during the manufacturing process to create additional surface area on the tire. The SipeLock technology Michelin incorporated keeps the van you’re driving stable by providing a stronger grip on dry roads.
- StabiliBlok technology: StabiliBlok technology features a structure of wider and longer tread blocks. This design helps tires withstand heavier loads by managing heat and friction.
- CurbGuard Sidewall protector: Another reason these are an ideal tire to have on your van all year is the CurbGuard Sidewall protector.
- MaxPressure: MaxPressure ensures a stable interior of the tire to evenly distribute the footprint. This helps the tires wear evenly and increases the overall life of the tires.
- Two tread patterns: The tires have two tread patterns: the non-directional pattern is best for commercial heavy-duty vans while the modernized directional tread pattern is intended for lighter-use vans.
- Internal construction: The inside of the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate is incredibly strong because of the internal makings. There is a two-ply polyester casing inside supporting two heavy-duty steel belts.
- Treadwear indicators: A convenient and thoughtful feature is the treadwear indicators. These recess bars are embedded into the tire and are used to monitor the tread depth. Owners can quickly see how much tread is remaining and plan the best time to replace tires.
Warranty Coverage of the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate
While Michelin does not offer treadwear warranty on this type of tire, it does have more than twice as much nylon reinforcement as the Defender, making this tire extremely durable.
Advantages of the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate
When deciding whether the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate is right for you, consider the following pros:
- Exceptional traction on dry surfaces
- Added safety on wet roads
- Superior traction when compared to other all-season tires for vans
- Smooth ride
- Impressive stability on the highway
- Muted road noise when inside the cabin
- Available in many sizes
Disadvantages of the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate
Be sure to weigh your needs when considering your options. Some of the cons of the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate include:
- The price point is a bit high for some
- The manufacturer does not offer a treadwear warranty
Micheline Agilis Crossclimate Overall Performance
A set of the MIchelin Agilis Crossclimate tires on your van can help improve handling, provide a smoother ride, and increase safety while on the road. On dry tarmac, the tires handle extremely well and provide stability at high speeds and while carrying a heavy load. They are comparable to a commercial summer tire and may even fare better while cornering. What sets these tires apart from others is their ability to easily come to an abrupt stop. You’ll find this feature impressive if you drive in conditions that require abrupt short stops, such as in urban and highly trafficked areas.
On wet surfaces, the tires excel at maintaining grip with hundreds of biting edges to reduce skidding. The SipeLock technology reduces the probability that vans will hydroplane, even in heavy rains. An aspect that sets these tires apart from the others on the market is the exceptional traction in snow. The Agilis Crossclimate has earned a 3PMSF ( Three Peak Mountain Snowflake) rating, verifying its ability to navigate well in snowy and icy conditions.
If you’re looking for a tire that is inexpensive, look at other options. Buying these tires is an investment, and although it may seem pricey, you’ll save on having to purchase a second set for inclement weather conditions.
Understanding a tire’s capabilities and features can help you decide what option is right for you. Consider your individual driving habits, how frequently you use the vehicle your new tires will be on, the distance you typically drive, and your price range. The Michelin Agilis Crossclimate can make your van ride smoother and safer.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.