Part of responsible car ownership is knowing the best products for your vehicle and understanding the importance of certain components. No matter what type of vehicle you have or its age, you’ll want a dependable set of tires to get you from place to place, and the Michelin Defender line of tires are long-lasting and provide excellent all-season traction. This Michelin Defender tires review will breakdown features of these tires, the warranty coverage, and some pros and cons to help you decide if these are the right tires for your van, truck, SUV, or commercial vehicle.
Michelin Defender Tires Overview
The Michelin Defender is a standard all-season tire and is an ideal choice for minivans and cars alike. As one of the most trusted and revered tire manufacturers, Michelin has created and aptly named this tire the Defender. Set to defend drivers from a variety of road conditions, it is specially designed to handle bumps, turns, and most weather conditions with ease.
The Defender is a versatile tire that provides a smooth ride and offers an added level of control because of the features it offers. If you’re looking for a tire that can go the distance and keep you and your loved ones safe in a variety of road conditions and through changing seasons, consider the tire’s features.
Features of Michelin Defender Tires
The Michelin Defender is one of the best tires in its class. Technological advancements have helped Michelin create a tire that brakes well, offers a fairly smooth and quiet ride, and is generally a wonderful option for a daily use tire. Some features that make this a great every-day tire include:
- IntelliSipe technology: IntelliSipe technology provides added grip by increasing the number of sipes within the tire tread block. The result is tires that handle exceptionally well and allow drivers to brake securely in times of danger or stress to avert an accident or unfortunate event.
- MaxTouch construction: MaxTouch construction helps tires wear evenly to decrease the likelihood of a blow out and extend the general life of your tires. It ensures even distribution as the tire contacts the ground to maximize the tire’s performance, life, and overall safety.
- Interlocking design: A sipe, also known as a kerf, is a small slit in the tire’s tread. Sipes create added surface area for more grip in wet or icy conditions.
- Versatile: The tire comes in over 18 sizes, to ensure that you get the perfect fit for your vehicle. Using the right size tire is important for safety, fuel-efficiency, and to optimize your vehicle’s performance.
- Decreased rolling resistance: Rolling resistance is the force it takes to rotate the tires. It can be affected by things such as the friction created when the tire touches ground and wind drag.
- Evertread compound: The Michelin Defender features an advanced tread compound that delivers improved gravel wear and can maintain performance in difficult conditions.
Models Of Michelin Defender Tires Offered
The Michelin Defender is one of two parts of Michelin’s plan to divide their tires into two families. This will help both dealers and customers familiarize themselves with the features of each tire, understand the brand better, and make more informed decisions with better ease. The Michelin Defender family currently has two models.
Michelin Defender LTX M/S2
The Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 is designed for vehicles that are typically used on tarmac. Best suited for commercial van, cabs, and small trucks, the tire provides added traction when compared to other tires and was specifically designed to meet the higher torque demanded by today’s trucks. This single tire is designed to fit the needs of today’s modern drivers and comes in three different versions. By branching out and making a tire suitable for different types of vehicles, Michelin has focused on the needs of drivers who own multiple vehicles and want a tire with a trusted reputation and proven performance. The three versions offered in this model are:
- 215-75R15 100T: This version and the following one are both covered by Michelin with a 70,000 miles mileage warranty. It can handle up to 1,754 pounds and has an outline of raised white letters visible on the outside sidewall. It can fit 5.5″ and 7″ rims.
- 235/75R15/XL 109T: This version can handle up to 2,271 pounds and fits rims from 6″ to 8″.
- 50R15/C 109R: This version is best for light trucks with a rim width range from 7″ to 9.” Because these vehicles can be rough on tires, Michelin won’t honor a guarantee until after 50,000 miles.
Michelin Defender T + H
The Michelin T + H is Michelin’s longest lasting tire. This tire is backed with the manufacturer’s 80,000 miles treadwear warranty in addition to the standard limited warranty for the life of the original usable tread or until six years. Best suited for family sedans, mini vans and coupes, the Defender T + H features cicumferential grooves for added control on wet ground.
Pro of Michelin Defender Tires
Here are some advantages you can expect from the Michelin Defender family of tires:
- Impressive traction on dry terrain and tarmac, even on tight corners and at high speeds
- Tires that respond earnestly on side-to-side motions, maneuvering well to help drivers miss unforeseen road hazards that quickly arise
- Grooves that grab on to the road with ease and decrease outdoor noise so the ride in the cabin is quiet and comfortable
- Tires that handle well on slightly slick roads and provide added stability for drivers
Cons of Michelin Defender Tires
While the Defender tires can be an exceptional option when you’re in the market for a daily use tire, here are some issues to consider:
- Tread-life has room for improvement
- Not made for snowy conditions
The ultimate decision on whether these tires are right for you, your vehicle, and your needs will depend on a few factors. Before making a purchase, be sure you have considered your driving habits, the frequency you’ll be using the vehicle you’re purchasing the tires for, and the typical weather and conditions you’ll be driving in most regularly. An informed and thoughtful decision will help ensure you’re satisfied with your tire purchase and improve your driving experience.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.