Truck bed tool storage is a necessity for any handy truck owner. Whether you’re a construction worker, landscaper, or just a dabbling handyman, you need to be able to store and access your tools at any time. Tools are expensive, so keeping them protected from the outdoor elements and theft is important for most people. Generally keeping your tools just lying in the bed of the truck can lead to the tools getting damaged, stolen, or lost.
What Is Truck Bed Tool Storage?
One way to keep your tools organized and safe is with some form of truck bed tool storage. This storage can come as toolboxes, drawer systems, and cargo slides. Coming in many different sizes, shapes, and materials, these storage systems can help any tool owner keep their things safe.
How To Choose the Best Truck Bed Tool Storage
When shopping for a truck bed tool storage system, there are many things to take into consideration before making your final purchase. Below are a couple of the most important things to think about when searching for the right product for you:
Factors to Consider Before Buying
- Materials: Truck bed tool storage systems can come as toolboxes in either aluminum, stainless steel, plastic, or steel. Aluminum toolboxes, while not the strongest, are light and resistant to rust. The stainless steel toolboxes are stronger than the aluminum boxes and resistant to rust but weigh more. Plastic toolboxes, being the lightest and cheapest option, are the easiest to break. Finally, the steel toolboxes are the heaviest and most durable of the options but are prone to rusting in the elements.
- Security: When looking for the right type of truck bed tool storage, security needs to be considered. Will you be storing tools of high value? Think about where you will be, whether working or living, and whether or not there will be a high chance of things being stolen from your vehicle.
- Accessibility: When choosing the right form of truck bed tool storage for your needs, keep in mind how you will be accessing the storage containers. For easy access, things like drawer systems and cargo slides may come in handy. These storage systems will take away the burden of having to get into the bed of the truck for tool access.
- Sizing: When searching for the right truck bed tool storage, be sure to have accurate measurements of the truck bed and your tools. You will want to make sure that any large tools that you will be storing will fit into any toolbox that you buy. Also, if you are looking to haul other things in the bed of your truck, you will want to measure and make sure that there will be enough space left after installing your choice storage system.
- Pricing: When searching for the right form of pickup truck tool storage, keep a target price range in mind. From there, find the storage method that checks off the majority, if not all, of your needs and wants.
Bed Truck Bed Tool Storage #1: Dee Zee DZ8170TB Red Label Crossover Tool Box
The Dee Zee DZ8170TB Red Label Crossover Tool Box is a great choice.
- Durable make: This crossover truck toolbox is made from heavy-duty Brite-Tread aluminum. To protect from and prevent oxidation, the toolbox is coated in a texture black powder coat.
- Easy to open: This crossover toolbox has dampened gas shocks that allow the lid to open at a steady rate. Featured is a crown-style lid with a full-length hidden hinge. A double V-pan lid stiffener is built in to enhance the strength and rigidity of the lid. For secure closing, the toolbox comes with adjustable lid strikers.
- Extra organization: To help keep your tools clean and organized, a small removable plastic tray is included for small tools and items.
Additional toolbox information:
- Dimensions: 74 x 25 x 17 inches
- Item weight: 71 pounds
Best Truck Bed Tool Storage #2: DECKED RAM Pickup Truck Storage System Includes System Accessories
The DECKED RAM pickup truck storage system with high-density polyethylene weatherproof drawers, a steel subframe, and system accessories is a great choice for those who require a lot of truck bed tool storage.
- Easy to install and remove: Installation takes about two to three hours. Once installed the storage system takes about 15 minutes to remove. This storage system is compatible with spray-in bed liners, but not drop-in plastic bed liners.
- Secure and weatherproof drawers: Tools and any other items stored in the drawers will be kept safe from the elements. The drawers protect from not only the weather but car washes too. While these drawers are sealed, they are not airtight. Things such as dust and mist can still get into the drawers. An optional key lock accessory comes with these drawers for extra protection.
- Long-lasting: Made in the USA, this drawer system is made from HDPE and a steel subframe. These materials make the drawer system able to withstand extreme weather and UV lights.
Additional storage system information:
- Item weight: 240 pounds
- Dimensions: 75.25x70x12 inches
- Made for Dodge RAM 1500 2009–2018 models and 2019-current classic models, as well as RAM 2500 and 3500 2010–current models
Best Truck Bed Tool Storage #3: Buyers Products 1702510 Black Steel Underbody Truck Box with Aluminum Door, 18 x 18 x 48 Inch
The Buyers Product 1702510 weatherproof black steel underbody truck box with an aluminum door and die-cast compression latch. It works great for those who do not want to lose any truck bed space.
- Durable build: This underbody truck box is made of powder-coated 14 Ga steel. The door is made of powder-coated diamond tread aluminum. The powder coating is to protect the box from corrosion.
- Weather safe: This underbody toolbox contains a gasket seal to weatherproof the box when closed.
- Security: To prevent theft, the toolbox has a die-cast compression latch.
Additional storage system information:
- 86 pounds
- Steel mounting brackets available for easy installation
These truck bed tool storage options were specifically chosen based on their ratings and availability. The appearance and durability of each toolbox were also taken into consideration. Priority was given to those that were easiest to install and easiest to access.
Truck Bed Tool Storage FAQ
How do you secure tools in a truck bed?
- Find a storage unit compatible with your truck bed
- Find pre-drilled holes or hooks in your truck bed
- Place storage unit over the pre-drilled holes or near the hooks
- Secure the storage unit using either screws or straps and the hooks
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.