Code P0332 Definition
Knock Sensor 2 Low Circuit Input (Bank 2)
What Does P0332 Mean?
Knock sensors are solely used for the purpose of sensing when your engine is “knocking,” or sensing when there is exploding in the air/fuel mixture in a way that delivers less power and can also damage the engine if prolonged. When the engine “knocks” there is an excessive amount of NOx that is released. When trouble code P0332 is set, the Power Control Module (PCM) has received a reading from knock sensor 2 in Bank 2 that is too low, and it will not be able to accurately send a ping to correct a problem.
- Check Engine Light
- Higher emissions
- Loss of power
- Pinging in the engine
- Lower fuel economy
- Faulty knock sensor
- Fault in the knock sensor circuitry
- Faulty EGR system
Code P0332 Severity – High
Pinging damages the lifetime of a vehicle’s engine and can affect its ability to run cleanly and efficiently. The PCM cannot get the correct information if the knock sensor is malfunctioning and can damage the lifetime of the engine.
Code P0332 Common Diagnosis Mistakes
Replacing the knock sensor whenever the issue lies with the wiring or connectors that could have been diagnosed by inspection.
- Tools Needed to Diagnose:
Difficulty of Diagnosis and Repair – (1-4)
- Check to see if there are any other codes along with P0325 and clear your Check Engine Light with FIXD
- Test drive the vehicle and attempt to replicate the driving conditions that will also give similar if not the same freeze frame data in an attempt to pinpoint the issue.
- Is the knock sensor sending a signal to the PCM? If so, there may be an issue with the coolant temperature readings. If not, the knock sensor may need to be replaced (Step 5). If there are issues with the coolant temperature readings, deal with them ASAP because an overheated engine can definitely cause the engine to knock.
- Conduct a visual inspection of the knock sensor wiring, and any connections to the knock sensor to make sure there are no signs of disconnection, tearing, etc.
- If the conclusion is that the knock sensor needs to be replaced, then it is often recommended to replace not only the sensor but the knock harness as well.